Saturday, April 19, 2014

Week of April 12-19

I know I've slacked off.  The past couple of weeks have been out of the ordinary for our work/travel schedules so we had to feed on the fly and there were some non-real food, or a lot of non-real-food options consumed.  For me, once I cheat I go downhill fast because I then just keep cheating until I hit my low-point where I can FEEL my body is not balanced and then I feel like I want to go on a raw vegan diet to get myself back on track (which I don't do...but I do think in extremes).

So this week, I did not prepare much ahead but I have (had) a plan.  It's spring break for Gavin so I'm thinking that since I don't have to drop him off and pick him up that opens up the daily timeline which will give me time to prepare meals from scratch on the day of.  here's the plan:

Sunday-- Make your own pita pizza day.
These were ALL real-food approved.  I found 100% whole-wheat pitas with no preservatives at all (I think there are only 4 ingredients total) at Earthfare and they were only $2.99 for a pack of 5 pitas which I thought was pretty great so I stocked up on these and put them in the freezer for another time.
I had homemade BBQ sauce in the freezer from when I made BBQ lentils a few weeks ago, so I defrosted that so the boys could make their BBQ pizzas.  I achieved the goal of getting rid of the Trader Joe's BBQ sauce on the pizza!  I also set out an organic pineapple salsa for the option of Mexican pizza....which the boys ended up choosing this time.
Then I chopped up mushrooms, green/red peppers, onions, spinach, tomatoes, cilantro and I also gave them black beans, cut up ham and corn too.  I set all the toppings in the middle of the table, gave each boy a pita and had them create their own pita pizza.  The boys love putting together their own and they ate them all because like Gavin mentioned, "this is my favorite pizza because it has all of my favorite toppings, and it's healthy because you picked out the toppings and you always pick what's healthy for us".  WIN-WIN!

Monday-- White bean/spinach/red quinoa soup or left-over pita pizzas
This is actually left over from Sunday's lunch but turned out really good.  I used garlic, italian seasoning and salt/pepper to season it, used a low sodium vegetable broth as a base.  Tossed in every vegetable I had in the fridge, frozen spinach, broccoli, carrots/celery, mushrooms and I added cannellini beans and red quinoa. Hearty tasty soup.

Tuesday--The plan was for Kung Pao Noodles but instead ended up having "Taco Tuesday" at Qdoba.  This is the result of not cooking ahead of times like I'm supposed to do on Sundays.  I was out doing fun Tuesday stuff with the kids and it got too late for me to come home and cook so we ate out at a semi-decent place, at least they got their serving of vegetables and whole grains for dinner.

Wednesday-- Nick's night- Veggie burger and french fries (at least both are organic)

Thursday-- Stuffed peppers
Quinoa mixed with black beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, cilantro placed inside the peppers and topped with cheese.

Friday-- Got stuck out late so we ate at Pei Wei.  This was rather disappointing too, it didn't hit the spot for us but the kids ate it up.  Gavin and Liam both eat so well here.  We order them kids' meals with brown rice, teriyaki chicken and a side of stir fry vegetables and they eat them up.

So, this week turned out to be another "bad" week in the realm of real food.  On the one hand I get really upset with myself because I feel uber guilty when I don't cook for my family and myself.  I feel junky myself and so I know that I am not doing the best for the kids.  On the other hand, I can say that eating out this week allowed me to be "with" the kids more and I really enjoyed the memories we made.  I think Gavin in particular really needed the "us" time this week.  Next week is another week....

No comments:

Post a Comment